I would like ____
We would like _____
You would like ______
You would like _____
He would like _____
She would like _____
It would like _____
They would like _____
would like = want
The verb “would like” requires an object, a gerund, or an infinitive after it:
I would like a bagel. (The word “bagel” is an object.)
He’d like a new job. (The word “job” is an object. Notice that the subject and “would” are contracted to form “He’d.” This is very common.)
They’d like a new dog. (The word “dog” is an object.)
- They’d like to get a new dog. (“To get” is an
to get a new. (“To get” is an infinitive .)
Most people make a contraction with the subject and “would.”
I would like a burrito = I’d like a burrito.
She would like to make a call. = She’d like to make a call.
Would Like in the Present Tense – Negative
I wouldn’t like _____
We wouldn’t like ____
You wouldn’t like ____
You wouldn’t like ____
He wouldn’t like ____
She wouldn’t like ____
It wouldn’t like ____
They wouldn’t like ____
Remember: You must have an object after “would like.”
You can also use a gerund after “would like.”
- wouldn’t like living there. (“Living” is a
Youthere. (“Living” is a gerund .)
He probably wouldn’t like the food.
They wouldn’t like doing that kind of work.
(“Doing” is a gerund.)
Note: Using “would like” in the negative is not always an easy thing to do. This expresses an opinion about a person that might not be true.
o o o o o o o o o o o o o
Would Like Questions
These questions are made with “would like.”
would like = do want
What would you like on your pizza?
Would you like to go out tonight?
Would they like to go to the park?
What time would you like to leave?
How many pieces of chicken would you like?
Here are some examples:
- A: What would she like to do some day?
- B: She’d like to become a professional photographer
(She’d = She would)
- A: Would he like to improve his English?
- B: Yes, he would. (or…)
- B: Yes, he would like that very much.
- A: What would she like to do today?
- B: She’d like to read some books.
Watch this video:
asking and answering questions with “would like.”
Directions: Fill in the blanks with “would” and “like.”
1- 10 would like
- What _______ you _________ to eat?
- I ________ _________ a hot dog.
- What ________ she ________?
- She ________ ________ some french fries.
- How _________ you __________ your steak?
- I _________ _________ it well done.
- They _________ __________ to watch TV.
- Your parents __________ _________ that. (negative)
- Bob _________ _________ living in California. (negative)
- ________ you _________ some ketchup?
(Answers: 1. would….like; 2. would like; 3. would…like; 4. would like; 5. would….like; 6. would like; 7. would like; 8. wouldn’t like; 9. wouldn’t like; 10. Would….like)
Next: Lesson Twenty-eight
Learn to use the verb “need”
Bài 19: Would You Like . . . ? Bạn Có Muốn . . . ?
Bài 19 và bài 18 nhìn thoáng qua có vẻ giống nhau, tuy nhiên, ý nghĩa hoàn toàn khác nhau. Các bạn chú ý học thật kỹ để chúng ta có thể tự tin giao tiếp và diễn đạt được hoàn toàn ý của mình nhé!
Trong quá trình học, nếu có thắc mắc gì, các bạn ghi vào phần bình luận dưới đây nhé, anh Frank và TK sẽ cố gắng giải đáp cho các bạn trong thời gian sớm nhất. Chúc các bạn một ngày mới học thật vui!